To access predefined locations we need to go to Central Administration and go to Query SSA. There the Federated locations are defined.
Here are the predefined locations which are available for SharePoint:
Now we will create a new location to show the top news results from Google for the keyword specified in SharePoint search. Here are the steps to create a new location:
1. Click on the New Location.
2. We need to provide the name, Display Name, Location and Author of the Location. The Display name will be available in the web part to select this location name.
3. The next two parameters are important and define the Type of the location and Query Template. The type of the location specifies the nature of the location. We can have the results from the Search index stored on the server farm or from the Search Engines supporting the OpenSearch protocals.
4. The Query Template is the query in which we specify the query used to search the data. To get the top google news result we will use the following query:
so in this query we will be passing the query parameter using the q.
6. Now we need to select this location in the Federated Results Web Part:.