Online Training On SharePoint
                      

Wednesday 5 May 2010

Error while creating External Content Type using SharePoint Designer 2010

I was trying to create External Content Type using SharePoint Designer 2010 but while doing so I got 2 different errors. These errors were coming even when I am the site collection administrator on the site where I was doing this.
The first error came saying "The Business Data Connectivity Metadata Store is currently unavailable."

Upon some investigation I found the Web Application under which this Site Collection was hosted was not associated to the Business Data Connectivity Service.  This needs to be done from Central Administration

Once this is done this error is solved but there is another error came when I tried to create External Content Type saying "The Server was unable to process the request due to an internal error".


This one was more difficult to understand. Later I found that any user attempting to create External Content Type is required to have BDC Metadata Catalog Permission which is given from the Central Administration.

Even the Site Owner or Site Collection Administrator can not create External Content Type if they dont have the permission here. Also any user needs to have design permission if they needs to do so.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Tell me What is the Solution for this Error. i have Same error even I am adding Administrator, all users (windows) and give full rights to them.

Related Posts with Thumbnails